10. Not really a moment, but the venue really made this Olympics special. The vibrant colours just made it all seem magical and almost made up for getting up at 5am to watch!
9. Sandra Izbasa’s floor exercise gold. Not necessarily for the performace (although it was fantastic), but for keeping alive the Romanian flame.
8. On that note, the Romanian bronze. Although I am a big fan of Russia, it was nice to see Steliana Nistor to be rewarded for all she’s gone through for the team over the past couple of years.
7. He Kexin’s awesome release move combos and that amazing laid out jaeger. Sure, the rest of her routine wasn’t perfect, but she certainly had the wow factor, so credit where it’s due.
6. Semyonova’s floor exercise and overall all around performance. Before the Olympics, I’d only really seen her on
bars and beam, but she certainly proved that she could be an all around force for the future. Her floor, like Anna Pavlova’s, was beautifully danced and reminded me of the old soviet gymnastics. I especially loved the turns in attitude.
5. Daiane Dos Santos’ amazing tumbling. This girl deserves credit. If only she could clean up, she would be an unbeatable force.
4. Nastia’s vault in the all around final. Unlike some, Iam not bewitched by the American media into thinking that all nastia’s performances are perfectly executed (or anything close to that, in fact), but this vault was special and deserved higher than a 9.5 in execution.
3. Li Shanshan’s beam in qualifications was breath taking. Difficult and beautifully performed. It’s performances like that that make me wish the perfect ten was still around, because it was truly deserving.
2. Anna Pavlova’s beautiful floor routine. She truly is an amazing gymnast and just watching this routine when she did it as well as we all knew she could was special. It’s such a pity that she didn’t go home with a single medal.
1. China’s team gold. I was rooting for them, so my reaction was somewhere along the lines of Cheng fei’s. You could tell that it meant so much to her and that really added to the moment. Age debates aside, Cheng fei and the rest of the team thoroughly deserved this gold and the moment will stick with me for a long time.